Lüdenscheid Centre of Competence for Surface Technology and Plastics
Innovations for the plastics industry, competent – fast – practical
In the Centre of Competence for Surface Technology and Plastics, partners from diverse sectors collaborate on R&D projects and organize training opportunities for their roughly 394 members. Pooling competences of different businesses and institutions along the technological value chain generates growth, employment and competitiveness. Founded in 1988, the Centre of Competence is a well-functioning, constantly growing, towards sustainability oriented network that is supported solely by industrial means.
The network's activities focus on surface engineering and process technology for plastic components, the modification and functionalization of component surfaces as well as the analysis and testing of surfaces and plastics.
The network is represented by the Kunststoff-Institut für die mittelständische Wirtschaft NRW GmbH (K.I.M.W.), an external institute of the South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences focusing on improving the quality and profitability of thermoplastic and thermoset plastic injection molded parts. With its 105 employees, the institute is expected to show returns of 10 million Euro in 2017.
Apart from coorporative and development projects, the companies are offered a wide range of services to solve company-specific tasks. Through numerous trainings practical knowledge is transmitted. Moreover, the institute offers services, development capacity and technological know-how, including:
- a laboratory accredited according to DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025
- material and damage analyses
- process engineering and development
- moulded part and mould optimisation
- quality and environmental management.
In addition, the innovation cluster offers worldwide seminars / trainings and technology consultation. Moreover, there are specific abroad projects as follows:
- Mexico: In cooperation with the Canacintra in Queretaro the institute will conduct site trainings and smaller project support to German enterprises.
- Brazil: In cooperation with the AHK in Sao Paulo a project is to be set up which is steered from Germany.
- France: Within the scope of the high-tech strategy an internationalisation project for the KIMW cluster network is worked out.